Wednesday 17 August 2016

How I Track My Calories and Macros - Lose It!

There a a few good apps out there that you can use that make tracking your calories and macros quite easy. The most popular app is Myfitness Pal the next would be Lose It!.

I having been using the Lose It! app for a while now off and on. They both have there pros and cons. My fitness Pal may have a larger food database because it is more popular and focuses a lot on exercise. I just seem to like the Lose It! app better because it really focuses on tracking macros and was simple to use. Both of these apps are PC, Android and IOS friendly and will sync all of your data instantly between your multiple devices. It will take a little bit to set up but once you do and the more you use the app the quicker it gets because it remembers your previous food choices and portions so that you can easily add to your next days food intake. You can add custom foods and recipes but most foods can be selected from the huge online database. You can also track weight and water consumption as well as exercise. Both apps integrate with Fit Bit and other devices. Both apps have really good free versions with a few added features with the paid versions.
There are a myriad of charts and graphs to help you really get a quick look of how you are progressing by the day, week or linger. Just remember the data is only as good as what you put into it!

Link to Lose It!
Link to My Fitness Pal

When I am starting a new nutrition plan I log every morsel of food so that if I need to make adjustments for my goals I can easily determine where to make the changes.

It may seem tedious but I also recommend not only counting calories in the first few weeks but weighing your food. a food scale runs about $30. If you are really serious you really need to get a firm handle of what 6 ounces of chicken or 2 cups of asparagus really looks like on your plate and the weight scale and calorie counting will teach you this. There are others that would advise against this but if you are new to this how will you really know how much you are eating? Just take the guess work out. I am not suggesting that you have to do this for ever just a few weeks.

Below are a couple examples from my Lose It profile




No comments:

Post a Comment