Tuesday 26 July 2016

Why Do Keto?

The Background Stuff

I have plenty of experience running low carb diets but during these low carb diets I ran medium to low carbs, high protein and low fat. My experience and those of many I have consulted are that running low carb diets play havoc with your energy levels and when you are "cutting" for a competition or trying to get at or maintain a body-fat percentage below 10 % this can be very difficult both physically and mentally. In our typical western culture diets our bodies have become reliant or almost addicted in a way to carbohydrates and the sugar contained within the carbohydrates.

Typical Bodybuilder Macros Chart







There are of course those that would argue this fact but scientifically speaking our bodies do not actually require carbs to survive as they are not considered essential.Our bodies do however require fats and protein to survive. This  is not to say our muscles do not require glycogen. absolutely they do! Especially from a sports performance perspective glycogen is very critical
So this is where things really get tricky. Carbs provide glycogen and muscle require glycogen  Your body cannot convert fats directly into muscle-ready glycogen. However, through a series of metabolic processes that result from conditions of depleted carbohydrates, it is possible for stored fats to be broken down into glucose, which can then be converted into glycogen. But carbohydrates are immediately and easily converted into glucose, so metabolizing them is the most efficient way for your body to produce glycogen.


A Ketogenic Diet is Great, But Is it Right For Dave?

A ketogenic diet can be great for people who are overweight, diabetic or looking to improve their metabolic health.
It may be less suitable for elite athletes or those wishing to add large amounts of muscle or weight.
And, as with any diet, it will only work if you are consistent and stick with it in the long-term.

So this will be the key for me. Can I add and or maintain lean muscle mass while running a keto diet?

This will be a new experience for me and a new journey. My intent with this blog is to not only track and journal my experience running a keto diet from a fitness enthusiasts perspective but to learn and share my new found keto knowledge with whomever would like to come along for the ride.

The Plan

I plan on running a high protein keto diet for 16 weeks or 112 days
Start Date: Mon Aug 29 
Finish Date: Sun  Dec 18

The Goal

My goal is 3 fold:
#1) I am currently running in "off season" mode. Meaning I have been putting on weight. As I write this I am at 207 lbs. My goal is to come in at 185 lbs by the end of the 16 weeks. I have chosen 185 lbs, not arbitrarily but  because this is a weight that I typically look and feel my best. It is the weight at which I am comfortable in my  own skin, if that makes sense?

# 2)  Feel better and healthier overall while during this leaning out phase.
# 3) Maintain lean muscle mass - I do not want to sacrifice hard earned muscle for a number on a scale. So my goal is to keep my "gains". 

In future posts as Aug 29 nears I will be posting details of my nutrition plan going over the foods I will be eating including my macros (macro-nutrients). How many calories I am consuming, How much of a calorie deficit I will be running etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment